List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2
The EPA-registered surface disinfectant products on our Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2 list have qualified under EPA’s emerging viral pathogen program for use against SARS-CoV-2, a coronavirus that causes COVID-19. Coronaviruses are enveloped viruses, meaning they are one of the easiest types of viruses to kill with the appropriate disinfectant product.
EPA strongly recommends following the product label use directions for enveloped viruses, as indicated by the approved emerging viral pathogen claim on the master label.
How to Use the List
- Locate the EPA Registration Number on the disinfectant
- Look for that number on List N: Disinfectants for Use Against SARS-CoV-2
- Click on a product’s Registration Number
- Look for the Emerging Viral Pathogens Claims section on the master label
- Look for the Enveloped Virus information in the chart to find which organism’s directions for use you should follow
- Go to the product label and follow the directions for use against the listed organism
- If there are multiple organisms listed, use the longest contact time, and if applicable, the highest concentration
Note: There may be additional disinfectants that meet the criteria for use against SARS-CoV-2. EPA will update this list with additional products as needed.
Emerging Viral Pathogen Claims
The emerging viral pathogen guidance was triggered for SARS-CoV-2 on January 29, 2020. A company can apply for an emerging viral pathogens claim, even before an outbreak occurs, based on previously EPA-approved claims for harder-to-kill viruses. EPA reviews the supporting information and determines if the claim is acceptable. Once approved, a company can make certain off-label claims as specified in the policy in the event of an outbreak such as the SARS-CoV-2. For instance, the company can include an efficacy statement on:
- technical literature distributed to health care facilities, physicians, nurses, public health officials;
- non-label-related websites;
- consumer information services; and
- social media sites.
Due to the outbreak of the novel coronavirus, EPA is expediting the review of submissions from companies requesting to add Emerging Viral Pathogens claims to their product labels.
For instructions on what to include in an expedited request, visit Emerging Viral Pathogen Claims for SARS-CoV-2: Submission Information for Registrants.